Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Oscars

     Hello, again.  I would like to take a moment and talk about the upcoming Academy Awards.  Does anybody still watch them, and if so, what is your favorite part of the proceedings?  I, myself, have not watched the Oscars, as they are called, since Jack Palance did his one-armed push-ups after winning his award in 1991 for City Slickers.  Ever since then I have felt that the awards have become a soap box for some of the stars to voice their political views and I stopped watching.
     Being a movie buff, I do miss watching the Awards, but even reading about them in the paper the next day or hearing about them on the news has been enough for me.  Many of the movies that have won for Best Picture in the past few years I haven't even watched yet.  Not sure why, as I'm sure they are fine films in their own right, but I tend to find that the critics and myself tend to disagree more than not.  The last Best Picture that I watched was Million Dollar Baby, directed by Clint Eastwood.  That took Best Picture in 2005.  Shows you how far behind I am.
     I wonder if regular people (blue collar workers) still throw an Oscar party every now and then?  I can remember sitting around my grandparents house in the early 70's and they would watch them and we would have snacks and such during the proceedings.  I kind of miss that.  Maybe I'll cook a pot of chili and bake some hot wings, as I did for the recent Super Bowl.  I would use any excuse to cook those yummy snacks!
     To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure who, or what pictures, are up for any of the Awards this year.  I may have to use my days to research the movies and maybe even watch a few before the Big Night.  There are a few movies that are coming out this year that I will certainly go to the theater to see, Peter Jacksons' "The Hobbit" being one of them.  From what I have seen so far, this looks to be on par with the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. 
     Well, my musings are over for now.  If you have any comments to share about your experience with the Oscars, please feel free to drop me a line.  Hope you all enjoyed this and will keep reading.  Have a better one.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment