Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Psychics

     Psychics.  The mere word brings up images of carnival stage magicians doing fantastic mind reading tricks, making predictions, and dazzling the audience with a flashy bow when their answers are correct.  Not in my world.  If there is a real creature known as a psychic, one who can predict the future and tell you when you are going to die, or what lottery numbers they should pick, I would love to meet one.   The first things I would ask them is if they knew I was coming to see them and if they could tell me my name.  That would impress me.
     The general psychic at large pulls people in with the promise that they can give you winning numbers to play at games of chance,  such as the lottery, or here in Vegas, Keno.  For $39.99 and higher, you too can become rich and happy.  Please send more if you can.  Right.  I'll get right on that.  If it was that easy, why aren't they taking advantage of this "power" and becoming rich themselves?  Their answer is that 'We are here to help our fellow man".  O...K...  Which means, that they will help their fellow man...at a price.  if they were truly looking out for their fellow man, they would give away the information and rely on the good graces of their clients to reward them if their predictions are accurate.  That would make sense to me.
     Still, the American public shells out millions of dollars a year on the so-called psychics that make these promises.  I guess if it makes you feel good, you should do it.  I have to admit, I shelled out $40 once, just to see what it was all about.  I received an email with my lucky numbers and what days I should play these numbers, my horoscope for the rest of the year,  plus a warning that if I didn't follow these directions, bad luck would plague me for the rest of my life.  Hmm.  Reeeallly.  Needless to say, I played the numbers on one of the days I was supposed to WIN BIG.  I didn't win.  Imagine that.  I sent an email trying to get my money back, just to get one in return that said it must have been the negative influences in my life blocking the good ones.  Send more money and I'll send more good luck.  I don't think so.
     I now get emails regularly stating that large sums of money are coming to me in 2 to 3 weeks time.  This is every month that these are sent, sometimes every other week.  But I have to send money for my luck to change. I would think that if the money was coming, it would come without me having to send someone money. People will actually keep sending the money, hoping that this time the numbers will be the right ones, and that their train or ship will finally come in.  With all the money that is going to these "psychics", most people could have retired in relative comfort.  And still the scam continues.
     I do have to admit that there are some psychics that generally believe what they are selling is true and factual advice, and think they are providing a public service for their fee.  This is America, Land of Opportunity, and we do have the free enterprise system that is there for them to use.  As long as they aren't hurting anyone, more power to them.  The only problem I guess I really have is the ones that abuse the system and drain some of the "believers" for every cent they can.  That's just not right.  You may think that if the individual continues to give them money, they deserve what they get.  Maybe, but who are we to judge.
     Hmm.  I seem to have gotten a little serious with this blog, but ya can't have fun all the time.  Thanks for reading everyone.  Have a better one.
    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment